GROW YOUR OWN FOOD – TOMATILLO (tom-a-tee-o) The tomatillo, also known as the Mexican husk tomato. Tomatillos originated in Mexico and were cultivated in the pre-Columbian era. Used for verde (green) salsas & sauces. The seeds for this plant were from a fresh tomatillo bought in a grocery store.
Choose a sunny location in your garden. Can be grown in a large pot. Use organic soil. Enrich with plant or animal compost.
You can set plants deep like you would a tomato plant. by burying most of the plant. Space plants about 3 feet apart. Use a cage or trellis to support the plant as it grows. Although not necessary. Grow in the same way as you would tomatoes.
Once the flower falls, the green back of the flower will start to grow around the fruit. Forming a papery husk.
ROASTED TOMATILLO SALSA
- Preheat your broiler.
- Remove husks and rinse under warm water to remove stickiness.
- Broil chiles, garlic, and fresh tomatillos on rack of a broiler pan 1 to 2 inches from heat, turn once, until tomatillos are softened and slightly charred, about 6-7 minutes.
- Cool garlic and chilies slightly. Peel garlic and pull off tops of chiles. Seed if you do not like your salsa to hot.
- Purée all ingredients in a blender.
- chilled and cover.
- Makes 3 cups.
- 1 pound tomatillos , husks and stems removed, rinsed well and dried
- 9 scallions
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and threaded onto wooden skewer
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 Serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea or Kosher Salt
- Cast iron skillet or flat pan
- pan lid
- Brush tomatillos, scallions, and garlic with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Place tomatillos, scallions, and garlic on pan.
- Cover and cook until tomatillos, scallions, and garlic are charred on both sides and soft. This should take about 8 to 10 minutes
- Transfer vegetables to a plate. Let cool to the touch.
- Chop scallions.
- Place scallions, tomatillos, garlic, cilantro, Serrano, lime juice, sugar, cumin, chipotle powder, remaining 2 tablespoons oil in food processor or blender. Pulse until mixture is roughly chopped.
- Transfer to bowl and season with salt and lime juice to taste.
#food #growyourownfood #organicgarden #organic #garden #gardening #vegetablegarden #veggies #veggie #healthyfood #healthy #homegarden #homegarden #vegatables #plantbased #plants