GROW YOUR OWN FOOD – TOMATILLO (tom-a-tee-o) The #tomatillo, also known as the #Mexican husk tomato. Tomatillos originated in #Mexico and were cultivated in the pre-Columbian era. Used for #verde (green) #salsas & #sauces. The #seeds for this plant were from a fresh tomatillo bought in a grocery store.
Choose a sunny location in your garden. Can be grown in a large pot. Use organic soil. Enrich with plant or animal compost. You can set plants deep like you would a tomato. burying most of the plant. Space plants about 3 feet apart. Use a cage or trellis to support the plant as it grows. Grow in the same way as you would tomatoes.
ROASTED TOMATILLO SALSA
- Preheat your broiler.
- Remove husks and rinse under warm water to remove stickiness.
- Broil chiles, garlic, and fresh tomatillos on rack of a broiler pan 1 to 2 inches from heat, turn once, until tomatillos are softened and slightly charred, about 6-7 minutes.
- Cool garlic and chilies slightly. Peel garlic and pull off tops of chiles. Seed if you do not like your salsa to hot.
- Purée all ingredients in a blender.
- chilled and cover.
- Makes 3 cups.
- 1 pound tomatillos , husks and stems removed, rinsed well and dried
- 9 scallions
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and threaded onto wooden skewer
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 Serrano chiles, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea or Kosher Salt
- Cast iron skillet or flat pan
- pan lid
- Brush tomatillos, scallions, and garlic with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Place tomatillos, scallions, and garlic on pan.
- Cover and cook until tomatillos, scallions, and garlic are charred on both sides and soft. This should take about 8 to 10 minutes
- Transfer vegetables to a plate. Let cool to the touch.
- Chop scallions.
- Place scallions, tomatillos, garlic, cilantro, Serrano, lime juice, sugar, cumin, chipotle powder, remaining 2 tablespoons oil in food processor or blender. Pulse until mixture is roughly chopped.
- Transfer to bowl and season with salt and lime juice to taste.
#food #growyourownfood #organicgarden #organic #garden #gardening #vegetablegarden #veggies #veggie #healthyfood #healthy #homegarden #homegarden #vegatables #plantbased #plants